Plastozote surrounds for curved LED monitors mounted to large globes. Installed at Moscow Airport

Map Bezels

This project proved to be one of the most taxing that I can remember facing at Plunge. Initially we made a plastozote surround for a curved screen shaped like the land mass of the USA. We created this based off CAD drawings, and performed some cut-and-shut on site. After the client got approval to make a full-sized globe, we set about making every continent. We did this by using paper gore patterns and doing an old-fashioned charcoal rubbing of the screen, to give us the shapes of the screens we needed to build around. Once we had our outlines we would use clear polycarbonate rules to draw as accurate a coastline as possible for each land mass. From there, the templates were divided into small sections, photocopied, copied at a 9% reduction, and cut out. We then used 10mm foam for the front and back of the bezel, and 12mm foam for the returns. The return was cut with either a sharp blade or a V-shape router bit, depending on if the return needed to reduce or increase in angle width. 

The fitting of the bezels was painstakingly fiddly, due to the nature of the aluminium pipes penetrating through the bezels. It meant we had to cut slits and apertures at very precise locations, and use velcro tabs to close the bezel around the pipes. It meant a lot of time on-site was dedicated to fettling the bezels, applying velcro and working at height. We also had to make reticulated foam sheets to hide the electronics of the screens, while also allowing for heat dispersion. Those sheets were stuck together with latex, in our best efforts to avoid obvious seam lines. 

Because of the volume of work involved in making and fitting the bezels, we spent a lot of time trying to improve process, develop jigs and streamline process. I feel like I contributed a lot in this regard. I developed a system of creating card replicas of the front of the bezels, which we used to mark the locations of the aluminium tubes. I created the system of resizing the smaller back of the bezel, as well as the marking systems which helped us make them in an efficient manner. I also spent a lot of time developing jigs and training freelancers in the construction of the bezels, as well as establishing a quality control. 

Working on-site with the screens was a delicate process, as the electronics were usually exposed. The days were long and the process was difficult, especially on the larger globe, as it was at height. It was a process that we improved immeasurably from the start of the job till the end. 

Whilst this job was not particularly artistic, it was a good lesson in examining and improving process, something I feel that I did very well. We established a lot of processes between the first and second globe, and this allowed us to create the bezels in a much more efficient manner

Get In touch

+44 7854 004 550

available from 10:00 – 19:00

Email: keith@keiththomsonprops.com